Monday, July 02, 2012

Scientific Linux 6.2 impressions













Scientific Linux does do better stuff than Cent OS.  Scientific Linux would read my Windows 7 NTFS drive and Cent OS wouldn't with no configuration.  Cent OS programming packages like Perl Programming modules are essential for class.  I wonder if Scientific Linux Fermi 6.2 install dvd has the perl programming packages I despriately need coming home Wednesday ????


Scientific Linux 6.2  still came with Bash shell, Bourne shell, VIM editor, Emacs, and TC Editor I need for class.



Cent OS 6.2 has Perl Programming, C++ programming, Network Administration, Python Programming, Wireshark, VIM front end on it.



Crossover Linux 9.2 RPMs worked on both Cent OS 6.2 and Scientific Linux 6.2. It loaded Winamp and VLC.


Scienific Linux (Fermi) 6.2 is hardcore distro aimed at hardcore Fermilab. The Fermilab people created it, because of licensing costs with red hat enterprise linux would probably made it impossible so scientific linux was born.


I am forced to use Cent OS now, because of those perl programming packages. I am going to install Fermi 6.2 Wednesday or Thursday to make sure I made the right choice with Cent OS 6.2.

No comments :