Friday, January 19, 2001

Zombieland

Zombieland is directed by Ruben Fleischer and it is a horror comedy about a version of our world where a virus has spread and turned most of the world's population into zombies, hence the title, Zombieland. This movie follows the hilarious antics of a group of humans who will have to get along in a world where there really aren't that many options left for friends. The movie stars, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin.

Zombieland is one one of those comedies which I have heard a lot about but have never watched. Well, now with Zombieland: Double Tap coming out just in time for Halloween, I had the perfect excuse to sit down and watch this movie. I was pretty excited, I love horror comedies, like Gremlins and even to a certain point IT: Chapter One. I also love the cast, I am a big fan of Emma Stone, I love her comedic roles in Easy A and Crazy, Stupid Love. I only saw Eisenberg and Harrelson in a couple of movies but still, great actors. With a lot of things like this and it's reputation going for it, it was needless to say that this movie gave me exactly what I wanted.

There are certain movies which have a unique concept and are executed really well. Movies which keep you smiling throughout the runtime. Comedic movies which will make you think "I can't wait to rewatch this" while watching it for the first time. When thinking of movies like this I think of "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World", "Baby Driver", "The Nice Guys" and now "Zombieland". It's one of those perfect comedies which you instantly like before it ends. Zombieland has the heart, scares and a ton of humour. It is an instant comedy classic thanks to it's great performances, perfect zombie slapstick humor ans a script with depth.

There are two types of horror movies, the good ones and the shallow ones. These past couple of years, it's been a tough battle between the two. While top-tier horror like Get Out, Us and A Quiet Place are doing very well, so are movies like The Nun and Annabelle: Creation. Zombieland could've very easily been a shallow zombie movie with some easy comedy in it but it's not. In fact the zombies are used sparingly. This movie is really about these four humans and how they will form a bond and kick ass in Zombieland. A good horror movie relies on it's characters for it to be great, not the jumpscares which this movie does.

Thanks to the unique and funny script and great performances, Zombieland introduces to a very likable and funny group of characters. Everyone nails their role in this movie. Eisenberg is incredibly funny as Columbus. His incredible need for preparation and adorkable quality make him a standout. He is the perfect funny, badass introvert. Harrelson as Tallahassee is just as funny. His character is similar to Eisenberg in the sense that he's badass and funny. However he's the total opposite in terms of personalities. He's got a short temper and he's loud which makes them a hilarious duo. I couldn't get enough of both of them. Stone is funny but I feel like she was funnier in other movies. I don't think this movie really gave her a lot to work with in terms of humor. Breslin on the other hand was great but still, I feel like the movie should've spent more time with these sisters. I mean, the movie is barely an hour and a half with the credits.

The movie also has a third act which is equal parts funny and thrilling. I'm not going to spoil anything but it takes place in an amusement park and this movie makes the most use of the fun setting. From haunted houses, to brilliant uses for the rides. It's really well thought out and clever and it's always such a fun surprise when a horror movie doesn't just rely on scares for the big third act. I know, I've been calling this a horror movie when in reality the zombies rarely appear, but it I wouldn't really call it a thriller either. It's also well-paced, there was never a dull moment. The only flaws I have with the movie were the runtime which is way too short and what I just mentioned with the movie not giving enough time to Stone and Breslin's characters.

Overall Zombieland is a great time. It's characters and hilarious nature will make for a satisfying and fun time, no matter who you watch it with. I recently rewatched it with my mum who hates horror but even she liked it a lot. The performances and script will have you laughing out loud, feeling for the characters and in suspense with the third act making this a very funny, very entertaining Halloween treat or just a movie with friends. I wouldn't suggest watching the movie with young kids because of the amount of gore and profanity.

No comments :