Wednesday, February 09, 2000

Every word counts in poems

In poems, I agree that every word counts, and I mean 'every' word. Every word is condensed with meaning. Sometimes I need to read a poem three or four times, subsequently, narrowing it down to the words that gives the poem the most impact and meaning. I like Shakespeare. I believe he is a master in disguise when it comes to his work. As stated before, there are times like now that I need to read and reread what he has written, in order to benefit from the poem's message. Afterwards, the chances are good that I need to reread it again. Shakespeare's poem "That time of year thou mayst in me behold" is a poem about an aging / dying man seeing his youth passing by. The title is a give-a-way. He uses a lot of metaphors in his poem. Here are some examples of words I picked out of the poem. "yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang" (line 2) describes a season such as late autumn (this might be obvious); and "Bare ruined choirs" (line 4) these are churches like Abbeys in Europe that either have been bombed out or are already in ruins; therefore, they have no roofs; and lastly "This" (line 13) possibly an identification expression to exemplify the poet's descending youth, but the word "This" could be debatable, but that's the meaning I'm giving it.

No comments :