Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bought Archos 7 8GB Home Tablet with Android 1.6

I bought one of these yesterday, because I didn't like the price $500 price of the Apple iPad 16 GB. It was only $149 with tax.



All Archos 7 plays Youtube and flash videos if you use the Skyfire browser.

Of course, there are drawbacks. I wouldn't give it a low rating, because it's missing features that only come with $500 tablets.

-The screen is resistive, and occasionally doesn't register your tap. This improves with time, if you turn on the click-on-tap sound setting.
- You download Android applications which are free / cheaper than iPads.
-The chip is supposedly slower to lower the pricepoint. I haven't noticed this much.
- Android runs on Linux kernel.

It plays AVC, DivX, Xvid, Quicktime, JPEG. Now for whatever reason if I go to a coffee shop, I can look good. On my 'date' in Caribou Coffee in mid-2005, I brought a PSP just to show JPEG slideshows to her, but we didn't become friends. She was in Physics and had nothing in common. PSP is all I have portable-wise other then a 32-bit Core Duo Acer laptop with Ubuntu 10.04.1 since 2006!

I can keep this in my vehicle and socialize it as people would do iPad, and get similar reactions. It's cheaper to replace than a lost laptop.

No comments :