Friday, September 20, 2024

How do you celebrate holidays?


This is my first writing prompt. In the 1980s and 1990s, holidays were reunions with 4 nuclear families with cousins and aunts / uncles and grandparents. My grandma would invite me to her house or my uncle would invite our family over to their house with 3 or 4 other nuclear families. The men watched national football league(Greenbay Packers with Bret Farve) and drank Coors or Pabet Blue Ribbon beer. They would tell stories about their health. Then I had a birthday party for halloween where mom’s friends were nurses or the Hartmons (David hartmon, age 39, Brian Hartmon age 37) would spend the night and play Nintendo 64, Saturn, Dreamcast, or Gamecube with me. I would watch Halloween (1979), The Horror of Dracula (1958), The Devil’s Bride (1963), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Taste the Blood of Dracula, The thing (1950), Curse of the Demon (1950) or Dracula Prince of Darkness. (1962) We would decorate the house with pumpkins and department 56 halloween houses and german nutcrackers.

At Christmas, I would open presents under a Christmas tree and some years with a Christmas train. In my childhood, I went to a old Redeemer Lutheran church in Burkhardt, Wisconsin to celebrate with mom’s pastor. Later I would open presents under a christmas tree, and watch youtube or movies like Ben Hur, A Christmas Carol (1984), A Christmas carol (1938), A Christmas Carol (1951) . Shop Around the Corner, White Christmas, Holiday Inn. There is also german santa clause nutcrackers and wreaths.

During Easter, I would find the basket with a gift inside and watch Ben Hur (1959) or The Ten Commandments, and always Easter Parade (1944). All these movies were on Turner Classic Movies, but over time I bought DVDs and Blurays. There is also Easter bunny nutcrackers.

No comments :