Saturday, May 09, 2020

Why Linux is better then Windows and Mac OS X from my experience

I want to say Linux reigns supreme over Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Mac OS 10.9 and FreeBSD. I had Debian in high school Linux +. RHEL in 2004, OpenSUSE in 12th grade. Then I was introduced to Knoppix in 2005 Linux+. Ubuntu in 2007, Fedora in 2008 Linux+, Cent OS from 2012. FreeBSD in 2012. In the beginning with Windows XP, I dual booted Debian with Windows. Windows blue screen of death crashed and then I used the NTFS-3g driver to get stuff off Windows in Linux until 2010. I stored my MP3s on a “MP3” partition I used with Partition Magic and later G-Parted so I wouldn’t lose that partition. In 2013, I changed the mp3 partition from a NTFS file system to EXT4 file system. I kept my mp3s and photos on DVDR so I could retrieve all of them after my operating system crashed or my hard drive was fried.tu Beginning in 2014, I realized that an old Ubuntu OS can survive six years with some kernel updates and that I wouldn’t lose my mp3s on the EXT4 partition, because my computer was just like a old Apache web server! The Only other OS that lasted from 2015 since Mac OS X 10.9 where the hard drive says I used for 2 months total uptime and 500 starts. My Linux I used from 2014 says the hard drive was used for 1 year 10 uptime and 4442 startups. In the linux, the sometimes file manager crashed, but not the OS. Windows XP, Windows Vista Windows 7, Windows 8.1 would freeze up completely after 18 hours. I used stream ripper to stream Shoutcast onto the hard drive in Windows where after 18 hours, Windows XP or Windows Vista would have a frozen screen. I don’t get viruses in Linux. I don’t get Trojans in Linux. I remember getting viruses or Trojans on Windows and having to reformat the hard drive, reinstall apps, and mp3 files totaling 6 hours. Windows sometimes installs viruses with Windows updates. Windows 10 does timentry while linux doesn't. I had virtual machines in 2012, but sometimes the save state of the images failed and the operating system on that image cold booted. I still wanted windows to play Windows PC games so I kept it updated to Windows 10. Windows 10 has Windows explorer crash. Windows 8.1 always seemed to freeze from PC Games and Youtube videos! Windows 10 isn't that stable. There's a reason why hospitals are using Windows 7 and Windows XP. When you repair Windows 10, the Windows Update takes 12 hours during the re-install. This software for my Linux called PlayonLinux installs a lot PC games from the 2000s. My 8-core Intel Mac with Mac OS 10.9 became a photography, retro videogame emulator and mp3 storage. I wanted a iphone since 2015, because then I have imessage, and 5 years of OS updates. I got an ipad, because I thought it was going to be a Nintendo 3DS like with mobile games. I played Poker, Solitaire, Super Mario Run, Mario Kart Tour and Pokemon Go on the ipad so far. PC-BSD 10 worked great, had OS stability, but the files were obsolete within months and no updates. Android phones slows down or have performance problems after 2 years. I had experience with FreeBSD 8.2 to FreeBSD 12.1. Then PC-BSD only had months before the upload respiratory with the current latest software version was broken with my operating system. Linux updates its repositories for 4 years, then you can update Firefox and libreoffice manually for additional 3 years. PC-BSD wouldn’t dual boot with Windows unless it had Unix File System and not ZFS file system. My guess is FreeBSD beats Windows, because Playstation 4 beats Xbox One in sales. Linux is free because 1000s of people submit code every year, Microsoft uses it to run Microsoft Azure. It's free because the Linux Organization is backed by big corporations like Microsoft, IBM,Intel, Google, Samsung, Vmware, there is freedom with what you want to do with the OS. Linux users had a grudge against how exe files where downloaded, because their terminal works 100% of the time. A single command will update everything you have installed to the latest features. You can update whenever you want or never. It has live kernel updates that only require a reboot, but reboot when you want to. Linux can run on supercomputers to a toaster. You can install Linux on updated laptops or the Raspberry Pi. On a catastrophic event, Linux will probably keep running. The drivers are open source too in Linux so they will be supported long after the manufacture discontinues support. Because there is 1000s of eyes on the code, vervalance is better. KDE and Gnome have desktop themes that can make the desktop more Windows-like or Mac-like since KDE 3.5 in the mid- 2000s. If you like the terminal a lot, you can use X-Windows, the most basic desktop environment. Since all the GNU programs are in the same folders, distribution hopping can be done. If you want to be most secure, you can run Tails Linux off a USB and use Tor browser. I don't check my email constantly, because the ROI is better then immediate response. The video editing in KDENLIVE and photo editing in GIMP is better then Photoshop and Power Director. The hours doing stuff is cutdown. If I move a lot of files, I'll use Crusader in Linux. Windows works 1 way. Mac OS works 1 way. You just accept their limitations.

No comments :